Are you thinking you might like to help in the Reading Room but you are not sure? Here are some answers to some FAQ (frequently asked questions)!
- There are no set times or days – you can come in for an hour, two hours, half a day, morning, afternoon – whatever suits you. Just contact us beforehand and make arrangements.
What do you do when you are here?
- You can pray silently for the Reading Room;
- You can spend time familiarising yourself with and reading the stock we carry;
- From time to time, there may be housekeeping tasks like dusting or vacuuming;
- You can help with window displays if needed.
- We will teach you how to use the technology (not all at once!) Then you will be able to help others learn how to use it.
- You can join in planning meetings to help set our focus for the coming months. In these meetings we also spend time with the Manual of The Mother Church to make sure we stay in line, and to gain inspiration for our work.
- It is an expectation that all workers will use some of their time in their own study and quiet contemplation about the Reading Room and Church.
- You can talk with customers when you are ready. You will always be supported in this activity.
- You can join in activities.
- You will always be supported in your work.
Parking may be available. We have a fridge for your lunch, a microwave if you need it, and tea and coffee making facilities. If you have any questions, please talk with Kate at the Reading Room – either come in or call on 8223 3230.